Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Costumes!!!

I went to the PS (practice studio) today for my costume fitting. I have 4 costumes for Macbeth, the most I have ever had in one opera. First is the witch costume. It weighs 10 lbs. if it weighs an ounce. There is a huge poncho-type outfit which hangs to the floor, with all sorts of unraveled cloth hanging on it. Then there is a mask, which covers my face, except my mouth and chin. Then a big hood over that. The last part of that costume is a pair of flesh colored glove with 3 inch fingernails on them. I can't even take them off by myself. I look pretty ghastly. Next is a lady's costume, with a brown skirt, an over jacket of brown velvet and a necklace. I wear black ballet type slippers with that. Then there is my "sleepwear" costume. Same brown skirt, but with a different tunic over it. Lastly, there is the refugee costume, which is the same as the sleepwear, but with a shawl and an hooded shawl, (both) over the sleepwear. I wear boots made of cloth, laced up the front with that one. It's going to be hot, to say the least. I have heard that we are going to braid extensions into our hair. I will definitely take pictures when I am in full dress. Tonight was our first rehearsal with Suzanne. She is so good, but so stiff. The lady leading the rehearsals last week was more fun, and we got a lot done, but probably not as nit-picky as Suzanne is. I like the nit-pickiness, but I wish she was just a little more fun. Oh well. I plan on blogging this opera experience, so expect a lot more.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're loving the opera! I wish we could see you perform in one of them sometime.
--Shelley

Sue said...

You are welcome anytime. This one is Oct. 17,19,21,23 and 25.