Friday, June 19, 2009

riding my bike

Tori and I went to the Jordan River Parkway, or whatever it is called and rode bikes yesterday and again today. It was partly cloudy yesterday, so it was perfect temperature and today it was sunny and warmer, but still nice. I am getting a little sunburned on my face, so I need to put more sunscreen on. It is pretty flat, so it works well for me as a beginner. I don't have riding gloves yet and am noticing that my fingers get numb from the pressure of my upper body weight on my hands. I also am getting saddle sore, but not too bad. I was wishing for an ice pack today about half way through, but was okay by the time I got to the car. I suspect it will get better. I need to get a helmet, gloves and a waterbottle holder for my bike. It is supposed to be rainy tomorrow by late morning, so I want to go early. I want to get on the trail by Gardner Village and go south. A few years ago I jogged that trail and would like to ride it now.
It was a sunny day, but I didn't get any garden work done. I hope it doesn't rain until late afternoon, but who knows. This June has been the wettest I can remember. Good for the lawns and the roses, but not good for horse riding or gardening.
I am singing in church this Sunday with the choir and I keep forgetting to practice. Not good.
I went to see my cardiologist yesterday and an orthopedic guy today. My heart seems fine and he told me to not take baby aspirin for a year, because of my head bonk. The orthopedic guy suggested PT for my shoulder and neck. We are not sure if I tore anything in my shoulder and he is calling my neck a sprain from the head bonk. If the PT doesn't get my shoulder feeling better, I will have a CAT scan to see if there is anything torn in there. I am told that torn cartilage or rotator cuffs don't heal on their own and have to be repaired surgically. I don't want any surgery this summer. Or fall or winter, either. Both the cardio guy and the ortho guy asked if they "drilled" my head. I love the way we medical people talk about stuff. LOL
BTW-they didn't drill my head.

2 comments:

Dave Sohm said...

If your hands hurt from too much weight on the handlebars, then you need to shift your weight a little. Your weight should be mostly supported by your legs and butt. Your hands should just be used to steer the bike. You don't need to be bent in half like Mike or Lance. Try sitting back on the seat so that your fingertips barely touch the grips. Teh n put a little more weight on your hands, and maybe use your legs to relieve some of the pressure on your seat. Kris says we need to bike more. She says I don't need to say that and this message is becoming much too lengthy.

She says that I should have said; to relieve your hands, put more weight on your butt, to relieve your butt, put more weight on your legs, to relieve your legs, get off the bike and lie down on the ground.

Sue said...

I don't care if it is too lengthy. I got some gloves that have padding on the outside of your palms, to slightly bend your hands towards the center. I think that is called pronation. Anyway, the guy at the bike shop said that some people have a nerve running up the middle of their palm and by slightly shifting the pressure on your palm, it helps. It seemed a little better when Tori and I rode for 50 min. on Monday. I also need to adjust my seat so that it is tipping a little more forward. Tori and I started at Gardner Village and rode north to about 5200 S. I thought we were going to ride all the way downtown, the way Tori was riding, but the paved trail ended (thank goodness). It was fun but very long.