Friday, September 19, 2008

Another day in the neighborhood

Yesterday, we had to put down one of our chickens. She had not been acting quite right for awhile, but when I saw her yesterday, she could barely stand up and had blood on her backside. Tori and I decided that she was too sick to save, so we took her to see Dr. Orr. He is such a nice man and we credit him with saving Scooter's life. Anyway, he said that she was badly fly struck and also had a mass in her abdomen the size of a baseball. I felt it when I lifted her up to see if she could stand and I hadn't felt it last Saturday when I thought she wasn't acting right. Dr. Orr said that he thought he might be able to save her for awhile longer, but we decided that she looked so miserable that it wasn't worth the effort (and expense). As it was, it cost me $128 to euthanize her and dispose of her body. That's an expensive chicken. So now we are down to 6 girls. Dot, Arwen, Nefertiti and Buffy are the older ones, Osiris is a year younger and then Blackberry is a couple of years younger. She has spent nearly the entire summer brooding, which means she is crabby and not laying eggs. I can understand why farmers never seem to know what the life expectancy of a chicken is. I suspect when they stop laying very much, they get eaten.


Yesterday, KC came over to visit Grandma. Dave and Kristen came, too, to pick up Dave's new cell phone. KC was more awake than I had ever seen him before. He was very interested in looking around and didn't want to snuggle or lay down. He liked to touch the kitty, who let him. Ketza is a good cat. He just layed next to KC and purred.


I am excited for the weekend. I have worked everyday since last Monday and I desperately need a day off. My hip and feet get so achy when I am on them that many days in a row.


This is the list of stuff I want to do tomorrow. Tell me if you think I am dreaming. I am on call 7 amto 11 am. Super Saturday is from 9-12. I need to go grocery shopping, especially at the Farmer's Market, where I need to get a couple of boxes of peaches to can. I need to make applesauce with the two boxes of apples sitting in my kitchen. I also need to get more apples to make more applesauce. I want to see a movie at the dollar theater before it goes away. I want to go to Monet to Picasso because Sunday is the last day it is here. I need to pull everything out of the garden next to the driveway and plant bulbs there. I need to ride Cloud. The table is being delivered sometime tomorrow, so I need to get the dining room ready for that. And last but not least, I want to have a nice dinner on Sunday with the new dining table, so I need to get ready for that. Do you think I will get it all done? Oh, and I need to tow my car down to Tunex because it won't start. I think I need more days off.

3 comments:

Dave Sohm said...

well monet to picasso is sold out, so you don't have to worry about that one

Anonymous said...

So how did you do with your list? It sounds like too much for even a week of days off!! We're excited to have Dave and Kristen and KC come or a visit.

Shelley

Sue said...

I made it to the movie I wanted to see and we made it to Monet to Picasso. Personally, I think Picasso's genius is pretty obscure. I loved the Impressionist, but by the time we got to the modern painters, I was exhausted, dehydrated, and had a headache. So, I wasn't too impressed.