Tuesday, July 8, 2008

A working fool

Here I am again at work. I am not going to whine, I am not going to whine....I have lots of plans for tomorrow, but mostly I am going to rest. (I will not whine....) I was thinking the other day about how much my life has changed since the dreaded thyroid surgery. Before I had that surgery and the subsequent emergency surgery, I planned on someday trying out for the opera, but never got to it. Then, when I had no voice to speak of (LOL) for 2 mos. afterwards, I realized how precious my voice was to me. I promised myself that if I got it back, I would audition and pursue the opera thing until I got it. And now, 6 years later, I am starting my third season with the opera. I got to thinking about my challenges with my knee and being told not to run anymore. I remember last year, when I was prepping for the Wasatch Back and feeling the awakening of the lean, strong woman inside of me. I really liked that feeling, however brief it was. Of course, I was looking forward to reviving her this past winter and spring, but the knee problems stopped that. I have been encouraged by my dr. to ride a bike for knee flexibility and exercise, and he also, very diplomatically, suggested that my knee would last longer if I could lose a few lbs. I immediately snapped back at him that I was planning on doing that this spring, but the knee thing stopped those plans. He quickly agreed, so as not to make me mad. But since then, I have been thinking about getting a bike. Money is, of course, an issue. And the last time I sat on Dana's bike seat, the pain was discouraging. The other day, I sat on Tori's bike seat and realized that it might be doable (is that a word?). So, I have been mulling this around in my head....Could I find the lean, strong woman in my body by biking? I think I might. I am afraid of looking like a fool until I get used to riding, but I suspect I looked like a fool at first when I started running again. I ran a lot at night, after dark, so that no one could see me. I am not sure I would want to ride a bike after dark, but maybe early in the morning. Hmmm...... Sue

2 comments:

briggsy said...

Sue-
I am finding that you are a woman of many hidden talents! Not only do you knit, crochet, & cross-stitch, but you sing opera & write well! You have an amazing way of writing that is like reading a book!

Dave Sohm said...

you can get head lights for bicycles at night, they really help, there are lots of people around here who ride bikes at night. I had really bad bike seat pain for the first 3-4 weeks of my mission but it went away. Part of the problem i think is that we have to wear slacks and clothes that aren't made for riding a bike, so if you get some more ergonomic pants it will help reduce pain. there maybe be some pain as your skin adjusts to having weight put on it, but it will adjust.