Sunday, March 7, 2010

This and that

I am supposed to be at church right now, but here I sit. I worked almost every day this past week and on my day off, I had a staff meeting at IMC, so not really a day off. I have today off, and not again until this Wednesday. It seems like I work a lot, but I am getting more 8 hour shifts, so I am not as exhausted at the end of those days. I need to do laundry and clean house and figure out grocery shopping, but instead, I am going to get ready for church and go, in a few minutes. I went to choir practice and I really don't like ward choirs. I have opera friends who feel the same way, so I don't think I am unique in this. I hate singing schleppy songs in a schleppy way. Our current director is a school teacher, so I thought she might be better than the last director, but, bless her heart, she is too intimidated to really get down and make us sing well. The best ward choir I ever was in was in San Ramon, with Randy Favero as the director. He was fun, but made us sing well. He really wanted a professional sound and we worked hard to achieve that. It didn't hurt that he was really easy on the eyes, either. But it was his passion for the music that made the difference. Oh well, I guess that kind of experience is rare in the church, where it is a volunteer organization.
I am tired of the wintery weather. Every few days we have a nice day, but then it turns cold and gray again. We need the snow, but I am ready for it to fall in the mountains and let us have some spring. The daffodils and tulips seem to think spring is coming, so I need to have hope, too.

1 comment:

Dave Sohm said...

They just need to find some good music. Mac Wilberg has some good arrangements.