Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Christmas is coming!

The past few years I have gotten less and less enthusiastic about Christmas. I loved Christmas when I was a kid and not just because of the presents. Every Thanksgiving and Christmas we would get together with the Jenks' family and usually the Williamson's, too. We would have Thanksgiving at one house and everyone would bring food. It was fun to get together and eat and listen to the adults talk about stuff and play games with the other kids. On Christmas Eve we would get together at one of the houses, usually the Jenks's house and have dinner and a Family Home Evening program, around the Nativity. Vivian Williamson and I would take turns playing the piano and leading our families in Christmas hymns and someone would read out of the Bible and then we would all pile into the Williamson's big van and go caroling to people in our ward. I loved that! Kevin Jenks, Vivian and I would usually sit in the back and talk until we got to the next house. Kev, Viv and I are all about the same age and we were teenagers at the time. There was some flirting going on, too, which made it more fun. I have the best memories of those dinners and programs. I remember practicing "Far, far away, on Judea's Plains" until I was ready to scream, but I didn't want to mess up when everyone was singing. Anyway, I wanted to institute something like that in my family, but most of our friends and neighbors, both in Calif and here in Utah, had other plans and family with which to visit. So, I don't think my kids have any memories like that. It's too bad. For a few years, when the kids were younger, we would go to Oregon or Northern Calif, to visit the Schapper cousins for New Years and would bang pots with spoons for noise makers at midnight, but now several of the cousins and one of my kids are married, so we don't all get together very often. But, this year, I decided to try harder to get the spirit and I think I am doing better than last year. I still don't have the tree all decorated, but it's up and there are lights on the outside trees. I am going to do my baking and candy making tomorrow and give most of it away as neighbor gifts. We have good neighbors, even crabby old Russ Wood is a good neighbor, some of the time.
My foot is still sore and stiff sometimes, but is doing better overall. My knee creaks, but usually doesn't hurt. My hip is still sore at night and wakes me up with the burning, but it, too is getting better. I think this next year will be much better physically for me than 2008 was. 2007 was a good year physically, too, with the Wasatch Back race and being involved with Young Women and the Opera. Hopefully, I will be involved with the opera again. I think I am going to audition for the Symphony Chorus, so that if I don't get anymore operas, I will least have that performance experience to look forward to. TTFN

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

do you want to go sledding? Dave and I are going to buy a plastic sled and find a few good sledding hills this year.-Kris

Sue said...

Hmmm....sledding with my knee and back doesn't sound good. One year Mike and I went on a snowshoe hike with a group of people. I nearly died from cardiac arrest, but I would be up to try again, but not with a group. I figure I could wear myself out walking in a flat parking lot with snowshoes on. That might be fun to try.

Matt and Ashley said...

Sue - In regard to your cavity question, I actually do know the answer. You are right, a cavity is caused by acids in the mouth. The acids are actually made by bacteria as they metabolize the sugars we eat and acid is the by product of this metabolism. The bacteria themselves actually get trapped in the plaque on our teeth, which is why brushing and flossing to remove this plaque prevents cavities from forming. The bacteria aren't there long enough to do any damage.

As for the soft spot vs. cavity: A "soft spot" is actually early demineralization that is caused by these acids. They are different than a cavity in that they can be remineralized. Fluoride helps with this by shifting the balance back in favor of remineralization. If the demineralization continues, a cavity forms in the tooth. The framework for remineralization is gone at this point so a cavity would have to be restored.

The biggest problem is when the cavity reaches the interior of the tooth in the layer just below the enamel. At this point the bacteria can run wild because it is a less mineral substance than the enamel and the cavity will progress much fast and will cause pain.

Well that may have been more than what you were looking for, but I hope that answers your question. I can tel you more about it in Oregon if you are interested (which you probably are not). See you soon.
Matt

Sue said...

Matt, that was a great answer. Thanks for the Info.